Convinced that microfinance is an important tool for poverty alleviation, the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs - Directorate for Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Affairs launched the European Microfinance Award in 2005 to promote microfinance initiatives and highlight their contribution to the development of the sector.
Since its launch in 2005, the European Microfinance Award covered many different topics such as:
- "Innovation for Outreach" in 2006,
- "Socially Responsible Microfinance" in 2008,
- "Value Chain Finance" in 2010,
- "Microfinance for Food Security" in 2012,
- "Microfinance and the Environment" in 2014,
- "Microfinance in Post-Disaster, Post-Conflict Areas and Fragiles States" in 2015,
- "Microfinance and Access to Education" in 2016.
The Award of € 100, 000 is granted by the Luxembourg Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs - Development Cooperation and Humanitarian Affairs and is jointly organised by the Ministry, the European Microfinance Platform (e-MFP) and the Inclusive Finance Network Luxembourg (InFiNe.lu).